Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Easy Chicken Empanadas

I apologize for there only being one photo for this one.  I had so much going on while cooking I did not take photos of the process.   Then Tuck was so hungry that before I could get my camera put together to take photos of the final product, he had plated them and had already begun eating...so you get a photo of my plate. :)


I came up with the recipe for these with a little inspiration from Pillsbury.  Pillsbury has a recipe for taco melts.  We LOVE taco melts, but I am a little burnt out on ground beef.  It seems like 90% of our meals, for a while, had ground beef.  I am ready for a change.  I went into the kitchen and threw two chicken breasts into a pot of boiling water.  I told myself I would figure out what to do with it once it was done cooking.

Suburban Mama's Easy Chicken Empanadas

2 Chicken breasts
1 package Mccormick's Enchilada Sauce Mix
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups of water
Mexican blend shredded cheese
1 can of Pillsbury's Grands Biscuits

Boil the chicken until cooked through.  While the chicken is boiling, make the enchilada sauce using the water and tomato sause.  Follow the directions on the back of the enchilada mix.  When the chicken is cooked through place on a cutting board to cool.  You will want the chicken to cool just enough that you can handle it.  Shred the chicken and place in a bowl or the pot you boiled the chicken in if you would like to use the least number of dishes possible.  Pour the enchilada sauce over the chicken.  Put as much or as little as you like.  I like mine to be just coated, but Tuck likes extra sauce on his.  Open your can of biscuits and roll each out into a flattened disk about 6 inches, give or take a little.  Place the biscuit onto a cookie sheet.  Add the chicken mixture on top of the biscuit, top with cheese, and fold over.  After you have folded the biscuit over, use a fork and press the edges all the way around to seal the empanada. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Serve with your choice of  sour cream, hot sauce, queso, or left over enchilada sauce.  Tuck likes all of the above poured over his.




These are super simple and you'll have a fun, child friendly, husband friendly, meal on the table in about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment